Course Entry Requirements
The formal entry requirements are:
- GCSE grade C or above in English Language, mathematics and science. These qualifications must be awarded prior to application to this programme. Other GCSEs are required to show a good spread of curriculum subjects.
- A minimum 2.2 honours degree from a UK University or a recognised equivalent qualification.
- Minimum of 10 days classroom experience in a primary school
- The applicant’s previous education must demonstrate a good foundation of knowledge to become a competent primary teacher. They must be able to communicate clearly and grammatically in spoken and written standard English.
Applicants who do not hold a English Language, Science or Mathematics GCSE Grade C
If you do not hold a GCSE in English Language, mathematics or science at grade C will need to apply for an equivalence test. We accept equivalency tests from A* Teachers:
Telephone number of A* Star Teachers is 020 7272 7070 and the website is www.equivalencytesting.co.uk.
You will need to pass these qualifications before you apply.
Applicants with Non- British Qualifications
If your qualifications are from a non-UK institution, you must verify their equivalence through the National Recognition Information Centre for the UK (UK NARIC) – Telephone number: 01242 260 010.
You will need to provide written evidence with your application.
Preparing for application
If you decide that you want to apply to train to be a teacher then you must prepare yourself fully for the application process.
To help you prepare you must do the following:
- Find all your original certificates for your qualifications. If you cannot find them contact the board to get a copy of the original. If you hold qualifications outside of the UK contact NARIC to get the equivalence.
- Organise a visit to a primary school to gain your 10 days experience. You can do this by contacting Claire James at email@example.com who will support you with this process.
- Book your skills tests in Numeracy and Literacy as soonas you have your UCAS number.
- Read relevant educational publications including the Ti8mes Educational Supplement.
- Contact your two referees who should be professionals:
Referee 1 – Head teacher or current employer – supporting the application
Referee 2 – University degree professor or other professional
All applicants who submit an application that meets the ELA SCITT requirements, as set out in the application scrutiny process, will be invited to interview day 1. We encourage candidates to pass their skills tests in Literacy and Numeracy before attending the first day of interview. If this is not possible, we do expect candidates to have booked their skills test. Candidates are encouraged to advise us of any Special Needs prior to the Interview days.